Wednesday, February 26, 2014

It takes time.

I am constantly researching and trying to learn as much as I can. It's hard work.

It really is.

I read, I study, I draw, and anything else that I can possibly do so that when the time comes and I get the call from a publisher or I get a call back from an agent I'll be confident in my skills and know I'll be able to do any job they need me to do.

That confidence takes time.

I asked a pro-artist once if he could tell me how I would know when I became better as an artist. His response was simple: it takes time.

How much time? How long? How many days? Hours? Weeks? Years?

That wasn't a fair question to ask because there was no way he could know that. It will take me as long as it needs to and I am constantly reminding myself this.

There is no way to speed up the learning process. Getting better takes time. It takes dedication and hard work. It takes getting so frustrated and mad at your work that you just want to sling it across the room.

And you will. I did.

I sat so frustrated at my work and so aggravated because I couldn't get a face just right or an arm wouldn't turn out the way I wanted and it was driving me bonkers.

I picked up my pencil and kept drawing. I didn't give up. I won't give up.

I'm in this for the long haul and those aggravating moments are going to happen. There are plenty more to come and that means that I'm pushing myself. That means I'm forcing myself to learn.

I'll get to where I want to be and when I get there, I'll keep going. I just have to remember that it takes time.

Lots and lots of time.






No comments:

Post a Comment