Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Being an artist and playing video games.

I love playing video games. At one point I could get lost playing video games. I remember me and my husband losing 8 hours playing Zelda: Ocarina of Time in a single sitting. For me it was the best game ever. Then the massive multiplayer online games caught my eye and lost hours turned into days. This was before college and before maturity kicked in. This seems to be another lifetime. We are a gaming family. My two boys, myself, and my husband all enjoy spending time together blasting away zombies or getting that little Italian plumber to the end so he can be told the princess is in yet another castle. We all want to get our sorcerers/warriors to the max level so we can have the best gear to be able to rock it out in the PVP/PVE world only to die and do it all over again. The problem with all of that is my love for my art outranks my love for playing games. My art is my passion. My characters and my layouts all need work and time to grow and that means I have to dedicate enough time to make it happen. That means going into the studio and sketching out my ideas, re-sketching my ideas, looking up references, re-sketching some more, researching techniques, and ultimately working towards a finish line. That doesn’t mean getting my chair in front of the TV after dinner and playing games until bed time. Those games are created by designers and artists that have put their time in. If I want people to enjoy my work, I have to put the time in too. If I’m serious about my art I have to be serious about the work and time devoted to it. I want to be a better artist and I want my work to show that I’m in it for the long haul. That only comes with time. Hard work, lots of hours, and time. I love being an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment