Sunday, March 8, 2015

Artist's high!

It has been TOO long since I last posted and I'm sorry. Let me fill you in on what's been going on.

Runners have this thing they call the runner's high...where they just get in that groove that makes them feel like they can go on forever and ever. The runner feels incredible.

I like to think there is also an artist's high.

And I hit it.

I haven't really ever hit my sweet spot for creating; it's always seemed to be just out of reach. I've watched video after video and read tutorial after tutorial but nothing has ever really clicked. I know the software and I know enough about the illustration industry to get me going a pretty decent distance.
The problem? Lack of confidence.

Since I'm essentially a beginner, I've always had this thought in my head that by looking at and reading the work of others I would somehow develop this amazing drawing and painting ability. Looking at the work of other artists gave me a false sense of confidence that I could do the same as they did.

And eventually I can. But it's going to take time.

So, I did something unique.

Crazy.
Strange.

I started creating. On my own. Without tutorials.

I took the mental library I have created over the past year from looking at the work of other artists and decided to just start drawing and painting.

I started with a basic idea, worked through the details in the beginning, kept working through the way I wanted it to look throughout the whole process, and never gave up.

It took me a couple of days but once that 'artist's high' kicked in, I just couldn't stop.

And I have to tell you...I love it. It's exactly what I wanted it to look like.

On to the next one!!


No comments:

Post a Comment