Wednesday, June 11, 2014

That's it...I QUIT!!

I have spent every single waking moment since graduation trying to figure out what in the h#ll it is I'm doing. 

What is my purpose? What am I supposed to do? What is the goal of my art?

I have done the children's book thing. Didn't work. 

I've done the graphic design thing. Didn't work. 

These things didn't work because my heart wasn't in it...because it's not what I love doing. 

What I love doing is coming up with unique and different ideas that tell a funny story. I love creating humorous illustrations that make people smile. That's what I love. I like having a little bit of an edge to my work because it's enjoyable. 

So why in the world am I wasting my time trying to force my art in a direction that everyone else says I am good at? Why? 

I honestly don't know. 

I just know I'm not happy unless I'm creating my own unique drawings.

I don't want to be the traditional artist that everyone says I should be. There is no love, no passion, no ME in the work I do for these different avenues and it shows. 

I tried the different areas and I failed at them. Okay fail might be a bit of a strong word but you get my point, right? 

A great mentor and friend Chris Hart helped me see the error of my ways even if he doesn't know it. I asked him a couple of questions about art and what I got in return was a wealth of information. I have a few of his books and highly recommend you checking him out. He is simply an amazing person as well as an incredible cartoonist. 

I have a background in web design, graphic design, and animation. I intend on incorporating the animation part in my work eventually but first I need to get my foundation down. That foundation is illustration. 

I'm an illustrator. I have to keep reminding myself of that because so many things about the graphic design world intrigues me. It's like something shiny catches my eye and I lose focus of my illustration passion. 

I must stay focused!!

I have taken time off to get my family moved, to figure out what in the world it is I'm doing, and to figure out just how serious I am about my art. 

It's not about the money. Okay, that's a lie. 

It's always about the money but I love drawing and creating so much money is the last thing I think about. I have my day job which is nothing art related at all and that pays the bills but my art...my art is my passion. It's what helps me get through my mundane office job on a weekly basis. 

The point of this post is this...I'm tired of going in different directions. 

William Beachy of GoMediaZine.com told me to pick what I want to do and Focus!Focus!Focus! 

That's my plan. 

I want you all to know that I am a humorous illustrator. I love jokes. I love laughing. I love making people laugh. It's what I do. 

Laugh at me or with me...as long as you laugh I've done my job. 

From here on out, I will be 100% illustration (eventually animation will be thrown in but we'll get to that later) and nothing...and I mean NOTHING will keep me from it. 

It's what I love, it's what I want. 

I'm quitting everything else. 

I'm done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment